Pedestrian Accident Lawyers in Las Vegas
Pedestrian accidents are one of the most common types of accidents in all of the US. In 2017, nearly six thousand pedestrians were killed in a traffic accident in the United States. According to the CDC, that is equivalent to one death every 88 minutes. Nearly half of those crashes were due to the influence of alcohol. Pedestrians are one of the most vulnerable members on the road. They are surrounded by fast-moving cars, motorcycles, bicyclists, and trucks while they move around the streets unprotected. An accident involving a pedestrian will often turn out fatal and expensive.
If you get into an accident as a pedestrian, we highly recommend contacting a lawyer to help you receive the compensation you deserve. If you or someone you know sustained an injury from an accident, Dimopoulos Injury Law is here to help you. Insurance companies want to spend as little money on you as possible. They’ll give you the bare minimum or, in some cases, nothing at all. It’s important to know that insurance companies are not obligated to give you anything. A car accident doesn’t only involve a car repair payment. It also includes medical bill payouts, physical therapy, lost wages from handling your case, and so much more. Our years of experience as pedestrian accident lawyers will ensure you understand the possibilities of your case. We are knowledgeable of the local laws in Las Vegas and state laws in Nevada, and strive to make sure our fellow citizens are protected. Las Vegas is a unique city filled with tourists from across the world who aren’t familiar with our laws, roadways, and traffic and may make mistakes when driving on the road. It’s important to protect yourself from any potential dangers. With an experienced Las Vegas pedestrian lawyer by your side, you’ll receive the proper care and information to make sure the negligent party takes full responsibility for their actions.
What to Do if You’re in a Pedestrian Accident
Pedestrian accidents are sometimes fatal. If you’re involved in an accident as a pedestrian, here is what you should do.
- Call 911. Calling 911 ensures that medical help is on the way if necessary. Even if nobody is hurt, dispatch will at least send out the police to examine the accident.
- Exchange Information. While you’re waiting for the police or medical help, be sure to trade information with all parties involved. This will help you, your lawyer, and your insurance keep tabs on the negligent party.
- Take photos. Photos are vital to building a winning case. This gives everyone helping you the context to what happened. Without photos, it’ll be difficult to prove what happened. If you’re unable to take photos, try to get a witness or someone else around you to take photos.
- Give Your Statement and Never Apologize. Tell the truth to the police in as much detail as you possibly can. This will help them understand what happened and why. Remember to never apologize. In an accident, an apology is admitting fault for the accident which would negate everything your lawyer and insurance can do to help you.
- Receive a Medical Report. A medical report that lists your injuries, prognosis, and treatment plan will give your attorney an idea of what compensation is required for your healing process. This includes physical therapy, surgery, doctor’s appointments, and loss of quality of life, etc.
- Receive a Police Report. A police report is an important document that may explain what happened on the scene. It also contains a list of names that were involved in the accident and a list of witnesses to contact. It will contain your statement, the involved party’s statement, as well as what the police believed happened.
By following these steps after your accident, you’ll have collected a strong report of what happened at the scene of the accident. The information provided could help you with your case. Don’t worry if you’re physically unable to do any of these steps. Your health and physical wellbeing take priority. At Dimopoulos Injury Law, we’ll be happy to collect the necessary reports to build your case. The only thing to keep in mind is that it may take longer for the case to build if you’re severely injured. Reports can take months to receive. As long as you’re taking care of yourself, Dimopoulos Injury Law will take care of your case.
Common Injuries in a Pedestrian Accident
Pedestrian accidents are no laughing matter. A pedestrian can face far more serious injuries than in the case of a car accident. Sometimes a pedestrian accident is catastrophic or results in death. These injuries include:
- Spinal cord injury
- Brain injury
- Internal organ injuries
- Torn and sprained ligaments
- Nerve damage
- Broken bones
- Wrongful death
Many of these injuries are caused by distracted driving or driving under the influence. Other times it may be caused by the pedestrian darting in front of the vehicle. The fatality rate of a pedestrian accident is as high as one death per 88 minutes. No matter whose fault it may be, stay safe and watch your surroundings. Reckless driving or walking is not worth the liability from a severe injury or needless death.
Dimopoulos Injury Law has several decades of combined Las Vegas lawyer experience. We know the ins and outs of local laws that will help you receive your entitled compensation, and we will always listen to your case. Nevada is an at-fault state, meaning that the person who caused the car accident will have to pay for damages. Nevada is also a contributory negligence state. This means that even if you were in some way at fault for the accident, if you were 15% at fault and the negligent party was 85% at fault, you would only pay 15% of the damages caused instead of 100%. Contact Dimopoulos Injury Law to receive the necessary advice so you can prove your case in court. Nevada ranks in 6th place for the number of pedestrian deaths. Don’t let yourself be conned by greedy insurance companies or negligent drivers. Let us do the fighting for you. We’re open 24/7 for a free consultation. Contact us today!